After a long illness on 19 February, Doctor of Architecture and Founding Director of Research on Armenian Architecture (RAA) Organisation Armen Haghnazarian yielded up his soul to God.
     Armen Haghnazarian was born in Teheran on 5 May 1941 in the family of Hovhanes and Arusyak Haghnazarian. His father, Doctor of Linguistics Hovhanes Haghnazarian, was a native of Agulis who had had a miraculous escape from the 1918 massacres of Nakhijevan Armenians. Besides being a lecturer in the Faculty of Literature at Teheran State University, he also held membership of the State Committee of Education and worked as Inspector of the Armenian schools of Teheran. Armen's mother Arusyak Haghnazarian was a piano teacher at Teheran State University of Music.
     Armen received primary and secondary education at Kushesh Davtian School, where he finished studies in 1959. From 1961 until 1968, Armen Haghnazarian studied Architecture at Aachen University, Germany.
     From1968 until 1973, he studied Urban Planning at the same university.
     For over 6 months in 1968, Armen Haghnazarian was busy studying and measuring some of the Armenian churches and monasteries situated in Atropatene Province (Artaz District of Historical Armenia) of Iran. His work was particularly focused on the Monasteries of St. Thaddaeus the Apostle, Sourb Astvatzatzin (Holy Virgin) of Tzortzor and Sourb Stepanos Nakhavka (St. Stephen the Protodeacon) of Darashamb, the results of the research into the Monastery of St. Thaddaeus the Apostle becoming the basis of his doctoral thesis. In 1973 he graduated from the university as Dr. Ing. Architekt-Planner.
     Between 1972 and 1978, Armen Haghnazarian made scientific expeditions to Western Armenia and Cilicia, the “fruits” of these research trips giving birth to a series of microfilms published in 7 volumes under Professor Vazgen Barseghian's (USA) patronage.
     Cherishing the great goal of finding, documenting and studying specimens of Armenian historical and cultural heritage in Historical Armenia (as well as in Armenia Minor, Cilicia and the Armenian Diaspora), Armen Haghnazarian carried out long-lasting work which became a cornerstone for the foundation of Research on Armenian Architecture NGO in 1978. Between 1974 and 1982, architect Armen Haghnazarian continued his work in Iran, where he participated in the restoration of the Armenian monuments located in this country. For over 6 years, he headed the restoration of the Monasteries of St. Thaddaeus the Apostle, Sourb Astvatzatzin of Tzortzor, Sourb Stepanos Nakhavka of Darashamb, as well as that of St. Sandukht Chapel and the Church of Andreordi.
     Armen Haghnazarian conducted research (including measurements and photography) into numerous Armenian churches and monasteries situated in different districts of Atropatene such as Parspatunik (Gharadagh), Urmia, Salmast, Khoy, Ardabil and Tabriz. He also carried out similar work in 13 churches preserved in Nor Jugha, as well as in the once Armenian-inhabited villages of Peria and Charmahal, which retain cemeteries with sculptured tombstones of rare cultural value.
     From 1982 until 1985, Armen Haghnazarian supervised the restoration of Teheran's St. Gevorg and St. Grigor Churches, as well as that of Vanak Church.
     From 1984 until 1994, he taught in the Faculty of Urban Planning at Aachen State University. Between 1996 and 1997, Doctor Armen Haghnazarian participated in the restoration of two Armenian churches, as well as two residential buildings in Kesab City of Syria.
     In 1998 Research on Armenian Architecture Organisation was officially established in Yerevan—since February 2000, its office has been located at 24·Marshal Baghramian Avenue. It also has branches in Aachen and Los Angeles, with a great number of collaborators in different countries.
     In Koln City of Germany, Armen Haghnazarian reconstructed a German Protestant church according to the ritual of the Armenian Apostolic Church, for the Armenian Diocese of Germany to use it as a church of its own. In January 1999, Catholicos of All Armenians Garegin I re-consecrated the monument, dedicating it to Sts. Sahak and Mesrop. For over 25 years, Armen Haghnazarian held membership of the Board of Land & Culture NGO.
     Armen Haghnazarian, who remained as a rare devotee of Armenian culture throughout all his lifetime, also headed the restoration of a number of monuments in the Republic of Armenia. These include St. Minas Church in Tatev Village; Sourb Khach (Holy Cross) Church in Aparan; Saghmosavank; a funerary chapel in St. Sargis Monastery of Ushi Village; the church of Karintak Village of Artsakh (Nagorno Karabakh), and the famous Monastic Complex of Dadivank, whose restoration will soon come to an end.
     Armen Haghnazarian is the author of a number of works on Armenian architecture, including Nor Djulfa. Documents of Armenian Architecture; St. Thaddaeus Monastery. Documents of Armenian Architecture, etc (on the initiative of Iran's Department of Monuments, the former was translated into Persian). He also wrote a number of articles, took part in numerous conferences, delivered lectures and held exhibitions with the single aim of disseminating knowledge on Armenian architecture.